Mauricetown, Commercial Township
founded c.1837, built 1880
Church built on lot vacated by removal of the original Church of 1852, to lot on Second St. adjacent to home of its builder, Charles Bacon. There as "Union Hall" it served as community center until destroyed by fire in 1932.
Due to the need for sailing vessels as cargo carriers to Atlantic seaports, Mauricetown became a home port for many sea captains. As town became more prosperous a larger church was desired with high spire for a landmark visible in Delaware Bay and mouth of Maurice River. Griffith Pritchard of Mauricetown was builder of this present Church with belfry and spire surmounted by arrow weather vane.
First floor-original use small room left Primary School Large room, Sunday School. Small room right, Men's Bible Class. Two stairways near entrance lead to second floor vestibule and double doors to Sanctuary. Memorial stain glass windows on second floor installed in 1921. Large front window (Annunciation) donated by local chapter of "The King's Daughters," organized by Miss Cleora Compton. "Mariners Window" within Sanctuary, east side dedicated by Capt. Alonzo T. Barry. The original iron arrow weather vane wrought by a local blacksmith plunged to the ground during a severe storm a few years ago and was replaced by another contemporary arrow. The original iron arrow weather vane was placed in the custody of Carl Schreiber (Mauricetown) until final determination could be made for its permanent placement at the church. The original paneled double front door was replaced. Siding covers medallion molding, trim on belfry and below. Architectural details enhancing the appearance of the building are lost to view. The steeple was struck by lightning several times and damage during the depression years prompted some members to suggest its removal. An eloquent appeal by Capt. Alonzo T. Bacon who stressed the historic significance to the community was, according to a newspaper article by the Rev. Ralph Carlisle, a native of Mauricetown, responsible for the citizen's determination to save this landmark. Four exterior lights at the base of the belfry illuminate the spire above from dusk till dawn.
Source: The Cumberland Churches