9571 Noble St
(possibly the original church)
Mauricetown, Commercial Township founded c.1837; built 1837
This trim residence was the town's first Methodist church. It was built in 1837, although the prominent pediment and multiple brackets date to a later period. The building was sold and moved in 1880; it served as the Townhall and a firehall until ____.
The first white settler (Caesar Hoskins) established his home here in 1714. By 1789, the town was called Mattox's Landing after its major citizen, Luke Mattox. In 1814, the Compton brothers began laying out the streets and the name Mauricetown was used—it comes from the river, which in turn is thought to derive its name from a seventeenth-century Dutch ship, the Prince Maurice, burned by the Indians before the town was settled.
Source: The Cumberland Churches