image

Image
Image
Port Norris NJ
Port Norris Methodist Church
Port Norris NJ
image


Churches of Port Norris
and Commercial Township

The historical society recognizes the following properties as historic to the community.
Click on the images or text to read more about each of this special places.
If you have a historical property please email us. We would love to add your
images and stories.
web@historicportnorris.org

Pickings See more

Feb 13, 1888
Despite the terrible weather of yesterday, there was quite in attendance at the churches, morning and afternoon. At the Methodist Church, Rev. J. F. Morell occupied the pulpit at both services and delighted his many hearers greatly. At the Baptist Church, the Rev. J. M. Scott occupied the pulpit in the morning and evening. The ordinance of baptism was ministered to ten converts, among the number being a Hindu from Calcutta, India, by the name of Baboo Sudah. Meetings will be held in both churches this week. On Sunday, next, the Rev. Edw. II. Bronson is at the head of the Kings Household of Bible Readers and will organize a circle here.

Faith Tabernacle  Church

Faith Tabernacle
Church

1665 North Ave
Port Norris

8722 Highland Street
Haleyville, NJ 08349
Read More

Port Norris

Port Norris

 
Faith Tabernacle  Church

First United
Methodist Church

1782 Main Street
Port Norris

 

The history of the Port Norris Methodist Church, as I have presented it, is traced up to the building of the present church in 1925.
Read More
     
Haleyville Church of God

Haleyville United Methodist Church

 

If you have information please email us.
Read More

Find A Grave

     
John Wesley  United Methodist

John Wesley
United Methodist

2523 Ogden Ave
Port Norris

In the early 1920's workers came to Port Norris, New Jersey from different parts of Eastern Shore Maryland to do seasonal work in oysters. Among these workers were Christian men and women who missed going to church to worship and started to meet from house to house for prayer services. Read More

     
Methodist Episcopal  Church Methodist Episcopal
Church

Bivalve,
Commercial Township
The L-shaped plan, the modest tower, and the small triangular pediments over the windows suggests that this was once a Methodist church, but a recent correspondent identified it as an AME church.
Read More
     
Mauricetown  Methodist Episcopal  Church Mauricetown
Methodist Episcopal
Church

Mauricetown,
Commercial Township

Church built on lot vacated by removal of the original Church of 1852, to lot on Second St. adjacent to home of its builder, Charles Bacon. There as "Union Hall" it served as community center until destroyed by fire in 1932.
Read More

     
Mauricetown  Methodist Church

Mauricetown
Methodist Church

9571 Noble St

 

This trim residence was the town's first Methodist church. It was built in 1837, although the prominent pediment and multiple brackets date to a later period.
Read More
     
 

North Port Norris
Methodist Church

 

The October 9, 1883, edition of the Bridgeton Evening News reported the following under news from Middletown: Middleton, October 9, 1883. Our church at this place is enclosed and will soon be ready for the masons.
Read More
     
Port Norris Baptist  Church

Port Norris Baptist
Church

1672 Main St
Port Norris

 

There are several interesting elements about this 1881 woodenframe church. It is basically a rectangular plan meetinghousewith the tower and entrance vestibule set off to the side, part way back.
Read More
 

 

 
Shiloh Baptist Church

Shiloh Baptist

 

The ministry of the Shiloh Baptist began on January 30, 1916. Our first worship services was held in a barn located at Peek-of the-Moon. The church was incorporated September 12, 1916. Read More

     
 

St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church

 

We need information. If you have anything, please email us at pnhs@historicportnorris.org

Source for a few of the churches The Cumberland Churches
The balance of the history and stories supplied by the churches or individuals.







image

image


Port Norris NJ