Back to Legends of Port Norris
Rebecca "Vivian" (Dilks) Morris
Vivian or “Mama Viv” as she is affectionately known as was born in Millville to Rebecca and Winfield Dilks. In 1938, she married mechanic Edward Morris, Jr., with whom she had two daughters. They moved to Port Norris in 1941, where she joined many organizations, including the Women’s VFW, the Port Norris Fire Company Women’s Auxiliary and the Daughters of America.
Vivian began her work career in the Millville Cotton Mill, where she worked for 11 years. After moving to Port Norris she worked in the fields for John “Froggy” Dagastine where she hoed peppers and bagged onions. She later moved to the platform at Dagastine’s Transfer, counting barrels of oysters as they were loaded onto trucks to be shipped all over the county.
In 1957, she started to work in the Little Red Food Market, Newcomb’s Market, owned by Harry Newcomb. She stayed with Newcomb’s as the store moved to a larger building, where it is today. The store changed owners three times, but Vivian remained a constant for 52 years, until her retirement in 2009. On estimate, she served about 960,000 customers. With her kind and modest manner, Vivian has, for generations, represented what is great about Port Norris.
On November 16, 2008, Vivian Morris was recognized as a Living Legend of Port Norris.
Source: Vivian Morris
Liz Hoffman, left, presents Vivian Morris at the Legends of Port Norris dinner.